The Collard and Collard firm descended from Longman & Broderip and then Clementi & Co and was run by the brothers William Frederick and Frederick William. They originally worked with Muzio Clementi and took over the company after Clementi’s death in 1832.
When Clementi died in 1832, the business named after him was continued by his foreman Frederick Collard. The firm of Collard & Collard (the brothers Frederick and William) continued manufacturing square pianos until about 1860.
In 1860 the firm announced the passing of F.W. and again the passing of W.F. in 1866.
It was finally purchased by Chappell Piano Company of London in 1929 and remained in production until sometime in 1960.